I have just moved into a new house with an Electric Oven, something with which I am entirely unfamiliar. I have been trying to create blueberry muffins – I have made four different batches so far, with varying degrees of success. The latest was reasonably good, so I thought I would share my success story with you.
2cups plain flour
2 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp carb soda
2/3 cup caster sugar
1-2tsp grated lemon rind
1 cup blueberries
90g melted butter
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Sift flour, add baking powder. Realise you have forgotten to buy carb soda. Add another 1 ½ tsp carb soda for good luck. Add salt and caster sugar.
- Whisk together melted butter and egg. Retrieve milk from fridge. Sniff suspiciously. Pour into measuring cup. Sniff again. Rationalise that it is still mostly liquid. Whisk together with butter and egg. Pour onto dry ingredients. Fold together, careful not to over-mix. Notice lumps in mixture. Stir furiously.
- Add blueberries, fold in. Add another cup or two for good measure, fold in. Admire purple colour of batter.
- Spoon into lined muffin tins, until at least ¾ full
- Place in cursed electric oven, middle / top shelf. Place an empty baking tray on the bottom shelf
- Wonder where the lemon rind was meant to fit in
- Pace room, frequently checking muffins’ progress
- When they are just starting to brown on top, receive call from hospital
- Wring hands
- Remove muffins from oven
- Place muffins back into oven, switch oven off, drive to hospital
- Return approximately 2hours later
- Briefly admire perfectly cooked muffins, then ferociously consume several
- Congratulate self on culinary mastery