Saturday, December 1, 2012

Emergency

So, I work in the Emergency Department now. I'd like to try and make it sound exciting and glamorous, as if we do nothing but save lives and look awesome in scrubs. I'd really like to do that.

And sometimes people come in who are genuinely ill, or injured, and we all get excited and work fast to patch them up and stabilise them. Nothing is more exciting than chest plain and bleeding wounds.

But I can't help but think that most people should have asked their Mum for advice first. Maybe before waiting for hours to see a doctor in the emergency department. Before I have to tell them to take paracetamol for their very mild headache, or to do nothing in particular for that small bruise on their leg. Before I have to spend hours filling out all the paperwork.

And let's be honest, nobody looks good in scrubs.

No comments: